Monday, March 22, 2010

21st Century Feminist Classrooms-Other Chapter Suggestions

Other than the assigned Chapters: 3,5,7 and 9, I would recommend reading Chapter 2. I find that accounts written by people of color are often seen as non-objective. For example, the story of expansion and imperialism is most accepted when told by a white chronicler as opposed to a person of color. I have often thought about how my name would look next to a history document. The legitimacy of my research possibly questioned because of my Spanish name. This chapter definitely hits home. I was also able to connect to Maria Eva Valle's experience in Chapter 6. She shares her personal experience and encourages the creation of a community of engaged learners. Valle indicates that students need to be encouraged to share their experience. Sharing can counteract the silence that masks internalized anger and turn the experience into one of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment